[Wittrs] I Experience in Ordinary Language

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 09:15:22 -0500

Gordon Swobe wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>perhaps you would care to comment on this interesting quote from
>>your favorite philosopher:

>>"Conscious states exist only when they are experienced by some human
>>or animal subject. in that sense, they are essentially subjective. I
>>used to treat subjectivity and qualitativeness as distinct features,
>>but now it seems to me that properly understood, qualitativeness
>>implies subjectivity, because in order for there to be a qualitative
>>feel to some event, there must be some subject that experiences the
>>event. no subjectivity, no experience." [Searle. Consciousness and
>>Language. p. 40]

>I don't have that book in front of me and so I don't know the context,
>but I suspect Searle wants here to make a point that qualia, as such,
>do not exist. Searle sees only qualities of a unified field of
>consciousness.

in the same article, Searle says, "'qualia' is just a plural name for
conscious states. because 'consciousness' and 'qualia' are co-extensive,
there seems no point in introducing a special term."

clearly then, qualia do not exist separate from the experiencing subject
nor separate from the conscious state of that subject.