[Wittrs] Re: I Experience in Ordinary Language

  • From: "Cayuse" <z.z7@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 13:56:30 -0000

Gordon Swobe replied:
Non-zombies like you do more than report conscious experiences -- you actually have conscious experiences to report. And you
know this as surely as you can see the words in this sentence.

I refer you back to my comment to which you originally replied:
"Conscious experience [...] is not an empirical phenomenon in the world, nor are there any empirical phenomena in the world that make it useful to postulate any such concept."

Are you arguing that the ability to report the bent appearance of a straight pencil in a glass of water gives grounds for ascribing "conscious experience" to the reporter? If so then you and I must be using the term differently. Otherwise, there is nothing in your argument that gives the term "conscious experience" utility and so my comment copied above still holds.