[Wittrs] Re: I Experience in Ordinary Language

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 13:52:46 -0800 (PST)

--- On Sat, 3/6/10, Cayuse <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Conscious experience (as you and I are using this
> term) is not an empirical phenomenon in the world, nor are
> there any empirical phenomena in the world that make it useful to
> postulate any such concept.

Last I checked, empiricism had everything to do with conscious experience.

I only just joined this group so perhaps I don't understand you, but as for
your second claim above, consider what happens when we place a pencil into a
glass of water: we will see the pencil as bent. The notion of conscious
experience becomes useful here for distinguishing the appearance from the
reality. We can say for example "The pencil follows straight lines but light
refraction causes it to appear bent in the observer's conscious experience."