[Wittrs] Re: I Experience in Ordinary Language

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 09:07:57 -0800 (PST)

Just joined this list. Hello to my friends Budd and Sean Wilson (didn't expect
to find you here Sean!)

--- On Thu, 3/4/10, gabuddabout <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Cayuse writes:
>
> > ""I experience" is a mode of common speech that leads our
> thinking astray. It is possible to extricate oneself from the
> concomitant error, but it requires due diligence. Then it can be seen
> that the idea that there is a "hard problem" is part of that
> error."
>

> I believe that I experience the above thoughts as a mish
> mash.  I agree that a Wittgensteinian is astute in
> noting that sometimes people say the darndest things.
> So someone says something like "I experience."  What
> are we to make of it?  They are conscious for one.

I agree but I think your thought here needs some expansion. I think our
favorite philosopher Searle will agree that we cannot assign consciousness
based only on speech behavior. We need also look at the physical structure of
the supposed conscious person.

If that person reports subjective experiences and if that person also has a
nervous system like ours and sense organs like ours then we may conclude
rightly that the person has a conscious mind.