[Wittrs] I Experience in Ordinary Language

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 10:55:16 -0500

gabuddabout wrote:

>Cayuse writes:

>>"I experience" is a mode of common speech that leads our thinking
>>astray. It is possible to extricate oneself from the concomitant
>>error, but it requires due diligence. Then it can be seen that the
>>idea that there is a "hard problem" is part of that error.

>So someone says something like "I experience." What are we to make of
>it? They are conscious for one.

>That this leads to the hard problem is no argument that it leads our
>thinking astray.

it is such an argument *if* the recognition of the 'hard problem' as a
problem is defined to be *the* problem for which wittgensteinian
linguistic therapy is defined to be the solution.

in relation to TLP 5.6 (The limits of my language mean the limits of my
world), one wonders if the strategy of truncating the language to avoid
philosophical 'knots' inspired Orwell to write 1984 --- where NewSpeak
redefined and contracted the english language to the point where
rebellious thoughts were unthinkable.

does anyone here know of any studies of the influence LW had (if any) on
Eric Blair (aka George Orwell)?