[Wittrs] I Experience Self-Referencing

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 06:14:53 -0400

Cayuse wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>one of the differences is that you have 'I' in quotes so that when you
>>interpret my position as "there is an 'I' that experiences the data of
>>experience" you are literally saying that the word 'I' experiences the
>>data of experience.

>I can't make any sense of your interpretation that a word can
>experience the data of experience.

that's not my interpretation. that's the literal meaning of your attempt
to translate my claim, "I experience", into "there is an 'I' that
experiences the data of experience". single quoting a word indicates
that you are referring to the word rather than to its referent.

I reject your translation.

even if you are okay with me chopping off the redundant 'the data of
experience', the result ("there is an 'I' that experiences") would still
not be a good translation; and, the reason is that you've put quotes
around the first person singular pronoun for reasons that are unclear.

what difference in meaning do you see, if any, between "there is an 'I'
that experiences" and "there is an I that experiences"?