[Wittrs] Re: I Experience Self-Referencing

  • From: "Cayuse" <z.z7@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 06:10:21 -0000

Joseph Polanik wrote:
one of the differences is that you have 'I' in quotes so that when you
interpret my position as "there is an 'I' that experiences the data of
experience" you are literally saying that the word 'I' experiences the
data of experience.

I can't make any sense of your interpretation that a word can experience
the data of experience.

where you say "that there is data of experience is not in question"
I would simply say "that there is experience is not in question".
do you see any difference between those two statements?

Admittedly the word 'experience' is ambiguous, just as are so many words
(e.g. 'sheep' could be plural or singular, and 'dog' could refer to any
member of the family of carnivorous quadruped /canis lupus/ or only to a
male member of that family in contrast to 'bitch'). In the case of the word
'experience' (as in "conscious experience") it could refer to a particular
object or event appearing in the stream of experience, or it could refer to
that stream itself. That there is experience (a stream of experiences) is
not in question, and that there are experiences (particular objects and
events appearing in the stream of experience) is not in question.