[Wittrs] Re: Games with Logic and Bachelor

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 01:07:51 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@...> wrote:

> ... I can't follow your comment. Kitties are home to the Kitty family and
> cows to cows. A better one would be: is a puma a kitty. The issue is family
> resemblance. As to what goals two children can score calling kitties "cows,"
> one would need to know more about what is going on. Is the Kitty really
> fat? If your point is merely that the kids don't know the language, that's
> not a point (or a goal) at all. Of course, one could imagine a scenario where
> the word "kitty" and "cow" were mis-learned, so that each was used for the
> other. Here, we have the same goals scored as any other member of the
> language culture, just under warrant of the wrong uniform.

A game was played, a child scored a point by succeeding with
an indexical reference, or maybe there was some point.

Why would you respond with a "puma" example?  Certainly there
is some resemblance between kitty and cow, mammals, animals,
objects at a distance.  The point is, the game can be played
with or without the resemblance, or with tiny or arbitrary
or idiosyncratic resemblances.  Who decides?  Or is the
question after all not valid?

Josh