[Wittrs] Fw: 04 - [C] Was Wittgenstein misogynistic?

  • From: Rajasekhar Goteti <rgoteti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:18:15 +0530 (IST)

Anyway, on to my question:  "misogynistic" comes up
far more frequently than "misandric" as a way to characterize
a philosopher or philosophy (no big surprise, given which
gender dominates the field), and the Wikipedia article on
misogyny mentions Wittgenstein as a misogynist (he's
in good company by the way

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 22:13:54 -0700
This question came up this evening as we were watching
'Major Payne', a silly comedy which nevertheless sends
a lot of patriarchal messages.

The characters we empathize with end up worshiping
his values, i.e. he supposedly wins us over to his side.

I found myself getting more and more misandric as I watched
this.  Misanthropy (hatred of humans) and misandry (hatred
of males) are two immaturities I wrestle with in my philosophy
sometimes.  I feel I should confess this before turning the
spotlights on Wittgenstein.

[ As the designer of philanthropic coffee shops per my
Coffeeshops Network blog, you'd maybe not suppose how
down on humans I was as a little kid (pre school age).
Unity of opposites?  I converted this to "animism" later,
billed myself a "Quaker animist" -- or in high school
they called me a martian. ]

Hey, here's a fun little misanthropic Youtube I sometimes
watch:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlY-TNsbcMI

Anyway, on to my question:  "misogynistic" comes up
far more frequently than "misandric" as a way to characterize
a philosopher or philosophy (no big surprise, given which
gender dominates the field), and the Wikipedia article on
misogyny mentions Wittgenstein as a misogynist (he's
in good company by the way).

I'm wondering what scholars here have to say about that
if anything.

For the record, said article also mentions Nietzsche as
misogynistic, along with the arguments against the idea
that he was.

Walter Kaufmann, famed Nietzsche scholar and one of
my teachers at Princeton, did mention he thought
Nietzsche had some immaturity with respect to women.
I was thinking about that when I called my own misandric
tendencies immature.

Kirby

--- End Message ---