[Wittrs] Re: Further Thoughts on Dennett, Searle and the Conundrum of Dualism

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 05:47:39 -0700 (PDT)

> The issue is whether a computer can be conscious. The man
> is already. But his consciousness is irrelevant

The man had consciousness when he entered the room, so you and Dennett
misunderstand the experiment when you suggest that it tests whether
implementing a formal program will cause consciousness. We would never know
from the experiment if programs cause consciousness.

The experiment plainly illustrates Searle's third premise that syntax does not
give semantics, and nothing more.