[Wittrs] Re: Further Thoughts on Dennett, Searle and the Conundrum of Dualism

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 18:27:03 -0700 (PDT)

The experiment itself plainly concerns syntax and semantics, Stuart.

We put a conscious man in a room and give him a formal syntactical program for
conversing in Chinese. He implements it as would a computer. Nobody expects the
program to give the man consciousness, because the man has consciousness going
into the room!

The man becomes, in effect, a conscious computer. Now we want to know if he can
get semantics from syntax.

We see that he cannot get semantics from syntax even despite having
consciousness. He can understand the stories from implementing the English
version of the program, but not so from implementing the Chinese version.

Looks to me like Dennett could not refute the simple logic so he misconstrued
Searle and made the CRA into something other than what Searle intended. Glad to
see that Searle called him on it.

-gts