[Wittrs] Re: Further Thoughts on Dennett, Searle and the Conundrum of Dualism

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 01:40:11 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "gabuddabout" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> Well, it seems that one needs to be okay with understanding the
> difference between functional properties and first-order properties
> ahead of time. Stuart may be right to suggest that it comes down
> to different intuitions.

I have not been attempting to follow all of the first and second  order
property discussions.  They mostly seem to be a waste of time.

> That's why it is difficult to know exactly what Dennett's
> "intentional stance" amounts to.

It isn't sufficient that we take an intentional stance with respect  to
the computer.  We will also need to have the computer take an
intentional stance with respect to us.  I haven't heard how he  intends
to accomplish that.

Regards,
Neil