[Wittrs] Re: Further Thoughts on Dennett, Searle and the Conundrum of Dualism

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 18:01:59 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 3/29/10, SWM <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> No one denies he succeeds in following his English
> instructions nor do they have to be in English nor does he
> have to be following them in English. He could be an Urdu
> man following Urdu instructions, after all!

You say you have read the target paper but I really wonder about that.

In Searle's actual CRA (the one that you persist in ignoring) the man
implements TWO programs: one in Chinese in which he follows syntactic rules in
English and one in English in which he also follows syntactic rules in English.
He cannot understand the Chinese symbols while operating the Chinese program
but he does understand the English symbols while operating the English program.

In both parts of the experiment he does the same sorts of operations -- what
you call rote processes -- but he understands the symbols in English.

Your theory does not explain the difference.