[Wittrs] Re: Further Thoughts on Dennett, Searle and the Conundrum of Dualism

  • From: "gabuddabout" <gabuddabout@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:26:51 -0000

Stuart writes:

"But I have no illusion you will see this, nor do I expect my more extensive
response, should it show up, will have any impact on you. I think, Gordon, that
yours is a faith-like commitment to something you just want to be the case
because there is no evidence that you take account of any alternative
possibilities or of the criticisms that have been levied against the CRA in its
various iterations."

Hi Stuart,

Maybe the very idea of second-order properties doing first-order work is laid
aside by Gordon who understands that that is the upshot of the CRT?  I could be
mistaken, though.

Searle is not a property dualist pace Feser.  The CR actually shows _at least_
this much were it not for your constant conflation of physics and computation.

Functional properties are functional properties because of intrinsic
intentionality on the part of beings who would describe some properties as
second-order properties rather than first-order properties, and sometimes with
very good reason.

And note that intrinsic intentionality is caused by first-order properties of
brains and other potentially artificial means for Searle--he's not a property
dualist just because he believes that Intentionality is an intrinsic feature of
a brain.

Computers do "computation" entirely by second-order properties which need
first-order properties (electricity) to run the abstract programs.

But this is no argument as to the neat things we can get computers to "do."

Searle doesn't dismiss any coherent research program!  :-)  Unlike others like
Feser, Hacker, and perhaps Neil..

Cheers,
Budd