[Wittrs] Re: Further Thoughts on Dennett, Searle and the Conundrum of Dualism

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 05:24:29 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sun, 3/28/10, SWM <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> You know, Gordon, you posted the link to the Hauser site with that text he
>> quoted from Searle but did you even read Hauser's commentary or did you
>> merely extract the Searle statement because it seemed to support what you
>> are saying? <<

I read the entire page, but I don't care what this Hauser person thinks, nor do
I care about some out of context quotes from Searle. Lots of people have lots
of crazy opinions about Searle and the CRA.

I do however care in this case what Dennett thinks, and about what Searle
thinks of Dennett's counter-argument to the CRA. As I mentioned I have an
interest in understanding what he means when he insinuates that Searle's view
amounts to Cartesian dualism.

It seems clear that Dennett misconstrues the nature and purpose of the CR
thought experiment, especially given that you do in the same way and you favor
Dennett's take on the subject.

I consider this a plain fact: Stuart: the man in the room has consciousness
before the experiment starts, therefore the experiment cannot detect whether
his implementing a program will cause him to have consciousness.

People can differ on the opinions of the what the experiment means, or what the
conclusion of the CRA means, but the experimental setup itself does not allow
for different interpretations.