[Wittrs] Re: Dueling Dualisms

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:08:52 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Tue, 3/16/10, SWM <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But my point is that Searle is unclear, himself, about what he means as
> seen repeatedly in his failure to explicate his claims about
> how the brain allegedly does what a computer cannot do.

He considers that the job of neuroscience. Just as we have a good idea about
the neurological correlates of pain, so too will we someday have a description
of the physical processes that correlate to having beliefs, desires and other
intentional states. In principle we can, on Searle's view, reduce all mental
phenomena to their neurological causes.

To my way of thinking, we cannot classify Searle's philosophy as dualism where
we understand dualism as having to do with non-physical properties or
substances. And I don't have much use for the word otherwise.

-gts