[Wittrs] Dualism Cooties: Postulates of EPD (Essential Property Dualism)

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 10:27:17 -0400

Gordon Swobe wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>does it matter what names are given to these property sets?

>I think it matters a great deal that according to property dualism,
>some if not all physical objects have some NON-physical properties. I
>would even call this an essential feature of anything we might call
>essential property dualism.

'blueness' is a quale of experience. it is not itself either a mental or
physical property an object. various properties of the brain (the
object) may be invoked to explain the quale of blueness.

its essential for property dualism that physical objects have properties
that cause experienceable phenomena such as the quale of blueness; but,
it is not essential that these properties be *named* 'mental properties'
or 'non-physical properties'.

>Property dualism emerged as an attempt to save dualism from the wreck
>of Cartesian substance dualism.

>from wikipedia:

>"In other words, [property dualism] is the view that non-physical,
>mental properties (such as beliefs, desires and emotions) inhere in
>some physical substances (namely brains)."

>Searle flirts with PD but does not actually meet the definition. On
>Searle's view, mental properties are physical properties even though he
>chooses not to do an ontological reduction of them.

I recommend the article on the types of dualism in SEP:

"Genuine property dualism occurs when, even at the individual level, the
ontology of physics is not sufficient to constitute what is there. ...
In the case of mind, property dualism is defended by those who argue
that the qualitative nature of consciousness is not merely another way
of categorizing states of the brain or of behaviour, but a genuinely
emergent phenomenon." [http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/dualism]