[Wittrs] Re: Dualism Cooties: Postulates of EPD (Essential Property Dualism)

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 06:21:02 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Thu, 3/25/10, Joseph Polanik <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> does it matter what names are given to these property sets?

I think it matters a great deal that according to property dualism, some if not
all physical objects have some NON-physical properties. I would even call this
an essential feature of anything we might call essential property dualism.

Property dualism emerged as an attempt to save dualism from the wreck of
Cartesian substance dualism.

from wikipedia:

"In other words, [property dualism] is the view that non-physical, mental
properties (such as beliefs, desires and emotions) inhere in some physical
substances (namely brains)."

Searle flirts with PD but does not actually meet the definition. On Searle's
view, mental properties are physical properties even though he chooses not to
do an ontological reduction of them.