[Wittrs] Dualism Cooties: Postulates of EPD (Essential Property Dualism)

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 06:11:19 -0400

Gordon Swobe wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>>Property dualism as I use the term involves NON-physical properties
>>>of matter that cause experienceable phenomena.

>>two questions:

>>how do you get around the argument that all the properties of
>>physical objects are physical properties?

>I don't. I consider myself a materialist/physicalist, not a property
>dualist.

>I simply wanted to comment on your seemingly incorrect statement that
>property dualism has to do with physical properties of physical objects
>causing subjective experience. Perhaps you mean something different by
>"essential" property dualism, but when I use the term property dualism
>I refer to the view that matter has both physical and non-physical
>properties, the latter of which property dualists posit to explain
>mental phenomena.

I'm using 'essential' to mean something like 'required' or 'necessary
for' --- as opposed to an inessential feature tacked on by one or a few
philosophers for idiosyncratic reasons. for example, EPD does not
require taking any position as to whether zombies are possible or
conceivable.

similarly, it seems to me that another essential feature of property
dualism is the claim that physical objects have two sets of properties,
one that causes measurable phenomena and one that causes experienceable
phenomena.

does it matter what names are given to these property sets?

>Property dualism seems a bit more palatable than substance dualism, but
>to my way of thinking it still suffers from some of the same
>weaknesses. How, for example, can these supposed non-physical
>properties of matter affect the material world?

this question does not arise for EPD, since all the properties of
physical objects are physical properties.

>>are you denying that Essential Property Dualism counts as a real (as
>>in genuine) property dualism; and, if so, how would you classify EPD?

>Again I wonder if you mean by EPD something other than what I mean by
>ordinary property dualism or PD.

I guess that depends on whether you see any differences (besides the
names given to the two property sets) between what you call PD and what
I call EPD.

>As you described EPD, physical properties of matter cause both
>measurable and experienceable phenomena. To me that sounds like
>ordinary materialism.

I doubt that mind-brain identity theorists would meet the definition of
EPD; but, many materialists/physicalists might well qualify.