[Wittrs] Dualism Cooties: Postulates of EPD (Essential Property Dualism)

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 07:14:57 -0400

SWM wrote:

>jPolanik wrote:

>>[as to the classification of Searle], the fact that the brain can
>>cause both measurable effects and experienceable effects suggests that
>>Searle could be a property dualist.

>Property dualism may be rightly ascribed to his explicit positions if
>Walter and others are right about what it entails

I will let Walter speak for himself.

meanwhile, I will list what I consider to be the posulates of EPD
(Essential Property Dualism); and, I invite comment as to whether Searle
can be classified as an implicit/explicit Essential Property Dualist.

Postulates of EPD (Essential Property Dualism)

in the spacetime metric there are objects of mass-energy. [these objects
are called physical objects.]

physicalism is the proposition that properties are attributed to
physical objects to explain how physical objects cause effects
(phenomena). [these properties are called physical properties.]

there are two classes of effects, experienceable phenomena and
measurable phenomena. [the terms of this phenomenological dualism can go
by various names.]

the aim of physicalism within the philosophy of consciousness is to
explain *how* physical objects cause experienceable phenomena.

there is a set of physical properties of physical objects that cause
experienceable phenomena.

there is a set of physical properties of physical objects that cause
measurable phenomena.

these two property sets are not co-extensive.

all of the properties in each property set are properties of physical
objects. [ie. in traditional jargon, EPD is a substance monism.]