[Wittrs] Re: Dualism Cooties: Classifying Searle

  • From: "BruceD" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 00:42:13 -0000

Searle wrote
"Somewhere in his writings he cites mud as an example: when we reduce
mud to water and soil, we lose the concept of muddiness, and muddiness
is what interests us when we use word mud. In the case of mud, then, it
makes no sense to do a reduction. Likewise with consciousness. We can
reduce it to third-person physics (as in identity theory), but in
reducing it we lose the concept that interests us."

I find that a neat way of putting it. Consistent with my inclination to
consider concepts conceptual conveniences rather than reflections of of
some essence "out there."

bruce