[Wittrs] Re: Dualism Cooties: Chalmers, the Misdemeanor Dualist

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:21:19 -0000

<snip>

>  >I am not prepared to pronounce on Chalmers because I haven't read
>  >enough of him. ...
>
> [... wait for it ...]
>

>  >From what I have read of Chalmers he is dualistic in an ontological
>  >sense ... but achieves this by proposing ... a fifth bottom line
>  >unexplained principle to go along with the four physics currently
>  >posits: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear attraction, weak
>  >nuclear attraction. Chalmers argues that the only way to explain the
>  >occurrence of consciousness in the universe is to suppose there is at
>  >least one more principle or force.
>
> where does he say that?
>
> Joe

An on-line paper we read (either by him or containing his response to critics)
over on Analytic. I don't recall the link but you can probably find it by doing
a little Googling. His ideas don't interest me enough, at this point, to go
searching for it again but you are free to do so or to cite other material of
his (preferably with links) if you think he is saying something different and
want to propose it for consideration here. -- SWM