[Wittrs] Re: Dennett's paradigm shiftiness--Reply to Stuart

  • From: "gabuddabout" <gabuddabout@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 23:39:29 -0000

--- In WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "BruceD" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "gabuddabout" <wittrsamr@> wrote:
>
> > You assimilate parallel processing in your lexicon to physical
> processes.
> > The claim is vacuous actually but you don't know it.
> > To the extent it is about computation it is vacuous.
>
> Please elaborate on the vacuity.

All parallel processing (PP) can be done on a serially computing universal
turing machine (UTM for short).  Stuart constantly thinks PP is both purlely
computational (though not, wrongly, UTM equivalent) and an example of brute
causality.  The claims are vacuous because he gets PP wrong by assimilating it
to physics or not, and when not he assimilates it to complex computation and
actually ALL PP can be done serially on a UTM.  Searle's CR is UTM equivalent.
Functonalism shows false positives.  Ergo it fails as a candidate for a theory
of mind..

> > No one is ever going to find that some process or other is
> intrinsically computational.
> > And on the other hand, everything under the sun can be given a
> computational description.
>
> This sounds right-on to me but I can't say why. Help me get it.

Can computations be found under a rock or anywhere except in a human brain
which is computing?  Yes.  Computers are designed to do information processing
via circuitry, electricity and logic gates.  Is the computer intrinsically
computing anything?  Not really.  Computation is assigned to the physics but
all physics is entirely brute causality, including the brute causality which
serves to cause ontological subjectivity and sleepiness.  Functionalism is a
whore which gets to have things both ways:  computation is abstract but it is
claimed as the only physicalist game in town.  It is not.  Stuart often, like
Armstrong, tends to think that one can't argue against functionalism without
being a dualist of sorts.  But then again, he too can go read the original
target article and possibly find out otherwise.  Or not....  :-)

> > So one can say that the stomach does information processing.
> > The upshot of so saying is that it makes it difficult to distinguish
> the truly mental from nonmental.
>
> Because the truly mental is...

Ontological subjectivity caused by brains or systems that can get over a causal
threshold that brains allow for.  Computers are functional systems describable,
functionally, by nothing other than second order properties.  Deny this and one
flirts with saying that "computers are physical," which is just another way of
misunderstanding what they are.

And computers are...

See above.

> I'll stop here though there is much more.
>
> bruce

There weill be less if you read Searle's target article from which the CR is
born.

Cheers,
Budd