[Wittrs] Re: Dennett's paradigm shift.

  • From: "BruceD" <blroadies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 03:44:20 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> We stop looking for mind as entity

This is found in William James 100 yrs ago. But for him, and others, a
non-entity is not physical. And since the brain is an entity, Dennett
takes a step backwards from James

> easily explainable as a complex set of brain functionalities,
>  accomplished by a process-based system running in brains.

What's explained? Philosophy is not asking for the physiological
correlate, rather they are asking how can I conceive of the relationship
between the physiology and the experience. Tell me that.

> It's just that now we can see how this can be accounted
> for in terms of physical processes going on in brains.

How is "this", the experience accounted for. This physical process could
easily go on without any mental life.

> The idea is not to deny "subjective experience"
> but to explain it in a way that makes it conceivable as an
> outcome of physical processes.

Right! So you imagine subjective experience is produced in the brain?
Like a wheel turns, the cells secrete experience. Be specific.

Descartes had the soul in a gland. How is this a shift from him, the
father of Dualism?

bruce