[Wittrs] Re: Dennett's paradigm shift.

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 13:09:34 -0800 (PST)

Budd:

On the matter of the quoting policy, the rule is only for the benefit of the
discussion board. Because of the way I have configured this group, people read
it in different venues. If we were just an email group, leaving the message
would be fine. But it makes it difficult for 3rd parties who stop by to read
the message board.

Take a look at the first 3 messages in this
thread: http://seanwilson.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=1844&start=0&S=9559940f1b71186aaa8f207f8432cfe2

Compare it now to this thread:
http://seanwilson.org/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=977&start=0&S=9559940f1b71186aaa8f207f8432cfe2

If you were a visitor and had clicked one of the two threads, reading the first
3 of the first would be very easy. If you think about it, books and essays and
letters, etc., don't use the telephone-conversation format. It's because it
makes things easier for people not participating in the discussion to read.
That's the key. Are you just talking to Stuart or are you trying to leave ideas
that someone else might benefit from consuming? The discussion board is
concerned with the latter.

(I note that Google has an interesting feature. If you leave a message below
your signature it gets put into a link called "show message." That really is
the best way to do it. I wish my discussion board could do that.

Regards.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University