[Wittrs] Re: Dancing Dualisms: Searlean Moves and Cartesian Moves

  • From: "Cayuse" <z.z7@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 16:19:06 -0000

Gordon Swobe wrote:
"Why Searle *Is* a Property Dualist" by Edward Feser
http://www.edwardfeser.com/unpublishedpapers/searle.html

<quote>
It is revealing that Searle, though he takes his biological naturalism to
have "solved" the mind-body problem, also acknowledges that his position
"raises a thousand questions of its own. [such as] how exactly do the
elements of the neuroanatomy - neurons, synapses, synaptic clefts,
receptors, mitochondria, glial cells, transmitter fluids, etc. - produce
mental phenomena?" (1992, p. 1) and concedes that "we don't have anything
like a clear idea of how brain processes, which are publicly observable,
objective phenomena, could cause anything as peculiar as inner, qualitative
states of awareness or sentience, states which are in some sense 'private'
to the possessor of the state" (1997, p. 8).  Since explaining all that is
what most philosophers mean by "the mind-body problem," it is hard to
see exactly what problem Searle thinks he has solved.  Certainly it is
no revelation to be told that brain processes cause mental processes -
something everyone concerned with this question has known for decades
if not centuries.
<unquote>

Given that Searle concedes that "we don't have anything like a clear idea of
how brain processes, which are publicly observable, objective phenomena,
could cause anything as peculiar as inner, qualitative states of awareness
or sentience, states which are in some sense 'private' to the possessor of
the state", (incidentally I would omit the word "clear" in that statement),
how on earth does Feser justify his claim that "Certainly it is no
revelation to be told that brain processes cause mental processes -
something everyone concerned with this question has known for decades
if not centuries"?

No causal relationship has yet been established, but only a correlation.