[Wittrs] Re: Dancing Dualisms: Searlean Moves and Cartesian Moves

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 06:08:58 -0700 (PDT)

Feser, in his article below, offers a reasonable argument that Searle's view
amounts to a kind of dualism, specifically a kind of property dualism. I think
his argument fails.

Feser writs:

"If [on Searle's view] what all uncontroversially physical properties have in
common is precisely their objective or third-person character, it is reasonable
too to regard that character as what is essential to being physical – in which
case mental properties, being essentially subjective, would necessarily count
as non-physical."

Feser, a committed Thomist, seems unable to fathom the possibility that mental
properties have physical reality. That they should not seems "reasonable" to
Feser, I think, only because of his own dualistic bias.

-gts