[Wittrs] Dancing Dualisms: Searlean Moves and Cartesian Moves

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 04:19:53 -0400

SWM wrote:

>Gordon Swobe wrote:

>>If you/Dennett want me to believe that Searle's CRA requires
>>acceptance of dualism then you need to convince me that it requires
>>acceptance of something non-physical.

>... the claim is NOT that Searle is an explicit dualist in which case
>he would be obliged to acknowledge subscribing to all the tenets of
>dualism.

it seems that we have a curious double standard here.

an explicit dualist has to subscribe to all the tenets of dualism.

you accuse Searle of being an implicit Cartesian dualist; but,
when someone points out that there is no evidence that Searle believes
that the human consists of a mortal body and an immortal soul which
interact, you say that someone you accuse of *implicit* Cartesian
dualism doesn't have to subscribe to all the key aspects of interactive
substance dualism.

this sort of doubletalk has an interesting consequence: if Searle
admitted to everything you accuse him of, he would thereby prove all
your accusations false.