[Wittrs] Re: [C] Re: Wittgenstein's Aesthetics Has Broad Application

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 15:18:54 -0700

> --- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@...> wrote:
> >

> > ... It just occurred to me that Wittgenstein on Aesthetics is not really
> > about "aesthetics" per se. It's actually Wittgenstein on "judgment." And it
> > seems to me that it is closely related to Wittgenstein's "seeing as" and
> > "imponderable evidence" (e.g., knowing the intuitions and feelings of
> > others). In other words, what I am trying to say is that anyone who reads
> > his lectures on Aesthetics as being about art is misunderstanding them. The
> > lectures are more broadly about a kind of COGNITION that routinely goes on
> > in our lives for certain subjects and context. We might call it the
> > learning of a "refined judgment," or the development of "exquisite
> > taste" -- but it is related to all sorts of judgments we make in life, such
> > as understanding our children (imponderable evidence).

This seems consistent with the identification of ethics and aesthetics
in the Tractatus.

In the Tractatus, it seemed we could isolate the logically positive,
the world of facts (with no values).

By the time of Philosophical Investigations, the weaving together is
tighter, as that "hard core" turned out to be somewhat a chimera (or
an archetype).  The world still waxes and wanes though.  We're still
in the same ballpark (of judgment).

Thanks for your comments.

Kirby

Note:  most recent mention of Wittgenstein in my publicly archived writings:

"""
As a part of the concentric hierarchy, I think that A and B modules
need to perpetuate, along with the T and E modules.  We'll do this
in the humanities  if we need to, as philosophical "math objects",
something for turtles to draw, either as plane-nets or spatially.
Gregor Lingl, caretaker of the Python turtle module (Standard Library)
has already lent a hand in this regard, in addition to sending me
some links to the house Wittgenstein designed, for his sister I think
it was?  He also sent me links to the entire Tractatus sung as if in
some Monty Python sketch.  Somewhat disturbing to me -- a case of
culture shock maybe.
"""

context: