[Wittrs] Re: [C] Re: Proper Names --Wittgenstein, Russell, Kripke

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:14:13 -0800 (PST)

... and that should be "bearer" (corrected below)

"44. We said that the sentence 'Excalibur has a sharp blade' made sense even
when Excalibur was broken in pieces. Now this is so because in this
language-game a name is also used in the absence of a its bearer. But we can
imagine a language game with names ... in which they are used only in the
presence of the bearer; and so could always be replaced by a demonstrative
pronoun and the gesture of pointing."