[Wittrs] Re: [C] On Languge Being "Open Ended"

  • From: "J D" <ubersicht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 00:31:12 -0000

GS,

"In case you have not noticed, JPD leveled exactly the same criticisms against
your views as did I, though I am guessing I will get no support from JPD,
probably because he finds my rhetorical tactics boorish, and he simply does not
like me. So be it. I can live with that."

Nah.  Nothing personal.  I just don't want to get drawn into cross-talk.  I
haven't been here long and I've already come to regret that.  Here I'll just
comment on remarks mentioning me, in case I need to clarify.

"But clearly, much of his latest, undeniably-harsh, viciously-sarcastic reply
to you..."

I hope I wasn't all that bad!  I was aiming for just enough sarcasm to make my
displeasure with certain things known and to convey my point.  Apparently, I
went overboard!

"...but it makes the same point that JPD did..."

Actually, closer to your point was when I credited him with "a clever
seduction" and told him that "I depreciated it."  And the point of these were
that even when someone still manages to get a point across, they may yet be
undeniably incorrect.  But irregardless, I could care less.  (I hope those are
also recognized as examples.)

"...when he challenged you to defend, in court, someone who was married, and
cheating, who claimed they were, by some definition, 'a bachelor.'"

Just to be clear, the issue would be perjury (or subornation, ethical
violations, and malpractice is his attorney had advised it).  Sean seems (I
hope) to agree that someone who he might call a bachelor in some "extended
sense" would still be married and would still be cheating.  But my point was
that just by using such misleading language (whether or not one had cheated!)
could get one into quite a bit of trouble.  With the law as well as one's
spouse.  And caviling about "family resemblances" would be to no avail.

"It is clear, to anyone but the sycophants that largely populate this list,
that JPD has delivered to you a serious spanking."

Again, I hope just enough to get his attention.  No gratuitous displays of
force.

Not sure who the "sycophants" are.  No matter.  Never mind.  (As Hume didn't
say.)

JPDeMouy