[C] [Wittrs] Re: Proper Names --Wittgenstein, Russell, Kripke

  • From: "J D" <ubersicht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 18:20:51 -0000

SW,

As you may or may not have noticed, some of the issues regarding proper names
are actually connected with some of the issues in my recent remarks of the
grammar of pictures.  More on that is soon to come but I thought I'd offer some
comments here.  I won't comment on Kripke or Russell (except to mention that
Russell's work on proper names actually goes through various changes and does
go beyond the theory of descriptions) but I will offer some comments and
clarifications you may yet find helpful.

"As I understand it, Wittgenstein's basic point is that people confuse the
meaning of a name with its bearer."

That's one confusion he addresses.  There are others including remarks to those
who do not identify the meaning of a name with its bearer.

"He uses Moses and Excalibur as examples"

While Excalibur is used as an example of problems attending to identifying the
meaning of a name with its bearer, the Moses example is addressed to those who
would wish to identify any single rule as governing the use of a proper name.

"Because proper names (PNs) mean something apart from their bearer, they take
on SENSE and are subject to the 'law' (forgive me) of meaning is use."

(I was prepared to "forgive", recognizing a convenient shorthand alluding to
Wittgenstein's remarks on meaning and use and "law" being used in a jocular
fashion, but this seems to get you into trouble later, so perhaps my being
pedantic about this is still necessary.)

Actually, even when we focus on the bearer, this can yet be thought of in terms
of use:

        43. For a large class of cases--though not for all--in which we employ
the word "meaning" it can be defined
thus: the meaning of a word is its use in the language.

        And the meaning of a name is sometimes explained by pointing to its
bearer.

"But what are the senses of PNs? I have listed four. 'Moses' can mean: (a) a
title or rule (the man who saved the Israelites); (b) a description (the old
person with a grey beard who works down the road); (c) ostensibility (that
person right there); or (d) a branding (Moses is DNA profile such-and-such, or
Social Security Number 233-33-5953)."

I'm not sure I see the point in sharply dividing (a) and (b).  A title or role
is readily assimilated to a description, e.g. "the person who held thus and
such a position" is a description as much as "...who works down the road".  And
descriptions that are not titles can be transformed into titles, as in "the
person who earned the highest grades in her class" and "class valedictorian".
"The person who received the most votes", "the person who crossed the finish
line first", and so forth.

Likewise, "the person assigned thus and such Social security number" is a
description.

And if we did need to make finer distinctions here (it depends on our purposes
in drawing these distinctions) we should attend to differences in how different
"brands" (a misleading simile for various reasons) are used.

A DNA profile may be used to assign a name to a bodily remains (particularly in
war or after a disaster) or to identify a missing child found years later.
Here it is being used as a rule for the use of the proper name.  A military DNA
database can be compared to a color chart, giving the rules for matching a
particular color to the name of that color.

But (and there are laws, regulations, and rulings governing this) that same
databse can also be used in other ways, such as connecting a name with a
definite description ("the father of so and so"), where we may or may not have
one or more candidates to consider; or an indefinite description ("someone with
increased susceptibility to such and such ailment"), where the name of the
individual is not in question.

With a criminal database, we may try to link the description, "the person (or
one of the people) who raped so and so", with a name in the database.  But of
course we also take DNA sample of suspects in custody whose names are not in
question.  Likewise, parents of an abducted child may provide personal affects
of their child to confirm the identity of someone who is found years later,
whose name is in question.

There are various connections made between names, descriptions, DNA, and
putative bearers of names or descriptions.

The (lawful) use of a Social Security number is a different matter.  Possessing
of the card, knowing the number, knowing the mother's maiden name, the place
and date of birth, having additional photographic identification, and so forth,
may all be considered.  If I don't have the card or know the number, I may not
be able to confirm my identity for various purposes.  But if I do, I may yet be
guilty of malfeasance if the number is not assigned to me.  Typically, my right
to use the name and the number stands (or falls) as a single issue.

Where the SSN distinguishes one "Jane Smith" from another, the right of Jane to
call herself or be called by that name is not in dispute.  What may be in
dispute are the legitimacy of various descriptions being ascribed to her, e.g.
"the person who has accrued this much in benefits".

"Therefore, PN's accurately exist as four BEHAVIORS."

Be very careful here.  Proper names are words.  Using a proper name is a
behavior.  The practice of using proper names is an institution.  And this
practice is involves following rules.  But when there are different rules
applied to the use of the same proper name or the same word, this is not
necessarily different behavior (as if when using a word, the user always were
thinking of one rule or another).

Having "a whole series of props in readiness," being "ready to lean on one if
another should be taken from under me" (PI 79) does not imply that I always
have one rule or another "in mind" when I used a proper name.

       Someone says to me: "Shew the children a game." I teach them gaming with
dice, and the other says "I didn't
mean that sort of game." Must the exclusion of the game with dice have come
before his mind when he gave me the
order? (PI, p.33)

And if circumstances arise that lead me to use one "prop" or another, it does
not follow that my behavior in initially using the name would have been
different prior to being questioned.  If a different question were asked, I
should answer differently.  And that would not mean that I was lying about what
I was doing.  The ability to appeal to different rules does not necessarily
indicate different actual behavior.

"One of the things that is strange about PN's is that only some of the senses
seem to rule the bearer. That is, one could say that Moses did not exist if the
story of Israelites is false, even though a man named 'Moses' to whom the story
was attributed did, in fact, exist."

One "could" say a great many things.

What does it mean to say that a man named "Moses" did exist?  That someone was
named "Moses" but nothing in the story is true of him?  That's as relevant here
as a landscaper named "Jesus" (pardon the crude stereotype) is to the question
of historicity of Jesus.  When you add, "to whom the story was attributed",
this prompts the question:  What do we mean by this "Moses", about whom many
false things were said, from any number of other people named "Moses"?

And Wittgenstein does not say that some of the senses "rule the bearer".  He
rightly challenges that idea:

 I shall perhaps say: By "Moses" I understand the man who did what the Bible
relates of Moses, or at
any rate a good deal of it. But how much? Have I decided how much must be
proved false for me to give up my
proposition as false? Has the name "Moses" got a fixed and unequivocal use for
me in all possible cases? (PI 79)

If Bacon wrote the plays, then Shakespeare did not.  Or if "Shakespeare" is
Bacon's pseudonym, then Bacon is Shakespeare.  But we believe other things
about Shakespeare, such as that he had a career performing at The Globe.  If
these (and other beliefs) also turned out false, we could say "Shakespeare did
not exist."  We could also say that Bacon is Shakespeare, so Shakespeare did
exist, but that many false beliefs had been attached to the pseudonym.

And why should we expect that the rules would be prepared in advance to
determine which would be correct?

"It would be the same as saying 'George Washington was the man who could never
tell a lie,' and learning that this is false -- he told many. And upon hearing
of this, in your delusion, you might say, 'The George Washington I know doesn't
exist.'"

That would be hyperbole and of course such expressions have their use.  But
saying that George Washington did not exist in the sense that an archaeologist
or hostorian might say that Moses did not would not be a matter of being
disilusioned about any particular belief but rather finding that a great deal
of military and political history was false.

"He says that the meaning of PN's is variable DURING THEIR DEPLOYMENT."

Yes.  But I don't know where you're getting the idea that he also said that
other senses were fixed.

                                        So my definition of "N" would perhaps
be "the man of whom all this is
true".--But if some point now proves false?--Shall I be prepared to declare the
proposition "N is dead" false--even if
it is only something which strikes me as incidental that has turned out false?
But where are the bounds of the
incidental?--If I had given a definition of the name in such a case, I should
now be ready to alter it. (PI 79)

"Now, what does Wittgenstein's view of PN's do to Russell? Here, the idea of
the theory of descriptions is in trouble, right? Because, after Wittgenstein,
you cannot say of 'Moses' that it refers to (a) an X; (b) its definition --
because, (1) meaning is use; (2) the bearer and PN are different; and (c) the
definition is in flux by virtue of the way the PN language game exists."

The Theory of Descriptions could be readily treated as providing a paradigm for
rules explaining meaning as use, so (1) is a non sequitur.  If it is a flawed
paradigm, that is not because it cannot be treated as an explanation of use.
Furthermore, even if it couldn't be so treated, Wittgenstein's remarks on
meaning and use would not be in conflict because he explicitly says, "though
not for all" (cases), and proper names could be viewed as an exception.

Finally, ellipsis and joking references to "law" notwithstanding, PI 43 is not
a thesis to be used to knock down other theses.  It is a set of truisms
indicating alternative ways of understanding questions about meaning that will
hopefully reduce some temptations to proffer theses at all.

(2) is very badly expressed.  Of course the bearer and the name are different,
but who would suggest otherwise?  The name "George Washington" and the person
George Washington couldn't be more different.

That the meaning of the name and the bearer of the name are different is
something Wittgenstein would emphasize.  But not against the Theory of
Descriptions.  Treating names as abbreviated descriptions is not at all the
same as equating the meaning of a name with the bearer of that name.

The way that we may shift between using various descriptions in using a proper
name would be a problem for some uses of the Theory of Descriptions, but not
for others.

        And this can be expressed like this: I use the name "N" without a fixed
meaning. (But that detracts as little
from its usefulness, as it detracts from that of a table that it stands on four
legs instead of three and so sometimes
wobbles.)

        Should it be said that I am using a word whose meaning I don't know,
and so am talking nonsense?--Say
what you choose, so long as it does not prevent you from seeing the facts. (And
when you see them there is a good
deal that you will not say.)
(PI 79)

JPDeMouy