[C] [Wittrs] Digest Number 350

  • From: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 10 Sep 2010 09:13:56 -0000

Title: WittrsAMR

Messages In This Digest (2 Messages)

1.
Re: [C] Digest Number 349 From: Rajasekhar Goteti
2a.
Re: Understanding Property Dualism From: walto

Messages

1.

Re: [C] Digest Number 349

Posted by: "Rajasekhar Goteti" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu Sep 9, 2010 8:00 am (PDT)

July 25, 2010, 5:26 PMThe Limits of the Coded WorldBy WILLIAM EGGINTON
The New York times         Thursday, sept 9 2010     Opinion
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/blogs_v3/opinionator/opinionator_post.png
We have no reason to assume that either predictability or lack of predictability has anything to say about free will.While our senses can only bring us verifiable knowledge about how the world appears in time and space, our reason always strives to know more.
The belief that our empirical exploration of the world and of the human brain could ever eradicate human freedom is an error.As much as we owe the nature of our current existence to the evolutionary forces Darwin first discovered, or to the cultures we grow up in, or to the chemical states affecting our brain processes at any given moment, none of this impacts on our freedom. I am free because neither science nor religion can ever tell me, with certainty, what my future will be and what I should do about it. The dictum from Sartre that Strawson quoted thus gets it exactly right: I am condemned to freedom. I am not free because I can make choices, but because I must make them, all the time, even when I think I have no choice to make.
One may pl see the full article in The New York Times / Opinion /dt http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/misc/nytlogo153x23.gif
thank you
sekhar