[C] [Wittrs] Digest Number 348

  • From: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 8 Sep 2010 09:06:34 -0000

Title: WittrsAMR

Messages In This Digest (2 Messages)

1a.
Re: Understanding Property Dualism From: SWM
2.
Re: [C] Digest Number 347 From: Rajasekhar Goteti

Messages

1a.

Re: Understanding Property Dualism

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tue Sep 7, 2010 5:47 am (PDT)

?

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "BruceD" <blroadies@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@> wrote:
>
> > I make no claim that there are mental properties and certainly do not
> subscribe to a doctrine of property dualism.
>
> Sorry. Wrong person. Remind me. Tell me what my dreams are made of.
>
> bruce

2.

Re: [C] Digest Number 347

Posted by: "Rajasekhar Goteti" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tue Sep 7, 2010 7:06 pm (PDT)

Words Cannot ExpressBy DEREK BICKERTONPublished: September 3, 2010

Sunday Book Review
Is language first and foremost an artifact of culture? Or is it largely determined by human biology? This issue has been argued back and forth for a couple of centuries with no clear resolution in sight. Guy Deutscher’s 2005 book “The Unfolding of Language” placed him firmly in the pro-culture camp. Now, in his new book, “Through the Language Glass,” he examines some idiosyncratic aspects of particular languages that, in his opinion, cast further doubt on biologically based theories of language.
What does the group say about this article?sekhar