[C] [Wittrs] Digest Number 141

  • From: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 14 Feb 2010 10:44:28 -0000

Title: WittrsAMR

Messages In This Digest (9 Messages)

Messages

1.1.

SWM's concept of consciousness

Posted by: "BruceD" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:04 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> My view is that consciousness can be accounted for by describing
increasingly complex and sophisticated functionalities

What's a functionality? Speaking, thinking, walking, ...what people do
and say. Right? And developmentally psychology present a vast literature
of studies that show the increasing complexity. And in that description,
one takes for granted that the person under study is conscious. Since
consciousness is an assumption, it's origin is not studied. Unless you
are referring to the brain areas associated with consciousness. But then
again, this is a cor-relational study in which one assumes that the
person is conscious and measures brain activity. Of course, in doing so,
the brain is considered a necessary condition for C, but this research
never asks HOW the brain causes (produces) C. That the brain becomes
increasingly complex does not address the HOW. Moreover, if we build an
entity that we considered consciousness, it will not, in itself, tell us
HOW the material we put in became conscious. It just does.

> ...But if intentionality is describable

No "buts" about it. We can describe intentionality. My question for you
is this. If we describe intentionality in purposive terms, "I wrote this
post because I enjoy conversing with you", then how do you reconcile
this purposive account with a causal, non-purposive account of the
brain?

bruce

1.2.

Re: SWM's concept of consciousness

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:20 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "BruceD" <blroadies@...> wrote:
<snip>

> What's a functionality? Speaking, thinking, walking, ...what people do
> and say. Right?

Yes, I use the term to denote the capacity to do a range of similar type things, accomplish a related range of tasks. If walking is a function, it may also be a functionality if it could be accomplished in more than one ways. However, getting from here to there, might be a larger functionality, including something like walking by leg movement and walking by rolling on wheels, etc.

> And developmentally psychology present a vast literature
> of studies that show the increasing complexity. And in that description,
> one takes for granted that the person under study is conscious. Since
> consciousness is an assumption, it's origin is not studied.

Right. It's a different field, that's all.

>Unless you
> are referring to the brain areas associated with consciousness. But then
> again, this is a cor-relational study in which one assumes that the
> person is conscious and measures brain activity.

Or wonders if the person is and hopes to make a determination by measuring the right kind of brain activity. This sort of thing doesn't purport to enter into the person's subjectivity though nor do I suggest otherwise (however I would note Dehaene's suggestion that if his thesis is right, it would be at least possible in principle to
achieve that kind of access -- I think Ramachandran says the same thing, by the way).

> Of course, in doing so,
> the brain is considered a necessary condition for C,

In humans so is air and sufficient nutrients and water. But the brain plays a different role than any of these so it is not merely a necessary condition.

>but this research
> never asks HOW the brain causes (produces) C.

It does if you're doing the kind of work Dehaene is though. That there are different kinds of research doesn't imply that either kind is nonexistent or even mistaken!

>That the brain becomes
> increasingly complex does not address the HOW.

It certainly may. If one is going about this by examining the brain morphology, then increasing complexity in brains under scrutiny would be a relevant concern.

> Moreover, if we build an
> entity that we considered consciousness, it will not, in itself, tell us
> HOW the material we put in became conscious.

Of course not. So what?

>It just does.
>
> > ...But if intentionality is describable
>
> No "buts" about it. We can describe intentionality.

Well there is the describability of saying what it feels like to be intentional (which may or may not be something we can really say), the describability of saying what we mean when we use the term in discourse and inquiry, and the description of the processes involved in brains, at varying levels, that manifest as intentional behavior and experience in subjects.

So "describability" will certainly vary depending on context and our objectives.

> My question for you
> is this. If we describe intentionality in purposive terms, "I wrote this
> post because I enjoy conversing with you", then how do you reconcile
> this purposive account with a causal, non-purposive account of the
> brain?

First, the usual way I am using "intentional" here refers to the aboutness meaning, not the purposive one. However, that is still not an issue in your question if we assume we both mean purposiveness here. Why would I need to talk about what your brain is doing? (This is one of the reason I don't agree with Sean's reduction of meaning as use or family resemblances to a matter of "brain scripts" -- though it's at least conceivable that science will ultimately explain these Wittgenstein-noted phenomena as something like what Sean seems to have in mind.)

Now I suppose what you really mean above though is how do I reconcile the idea that you act with purposes (you have motivations, make choices from various options, etc.) with the idea that brains produce minds (and all they entail) in some physically based causal way. And the answer to that is that I don't have to reconcile these because they involve different contexts of discussion for me. I have no problem supposing we have free will (in the every day sense we mean that term) and yet are physically generated, physically caused in every aspect of what we are. The physical universe is much more massive and complex than any idea of determinism-quashing-free-will can accommodate.

SWM

> bruce

> Need Something? Check here: http://ludwig.squarespace.com/wittrslinks/

2.1.

Re: Dennett's paradigm shift.

Posted by: "BruceD" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:38 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> Dennett argues that we can account for all the features we typically
associate with consciousness in ourselves
> by thinking of them in a different way, changing the paradigm.

The paradigm shift is what? A materialistic, causal account of C is as
old as the hills. The new neurology still doesn't tell us HOW brain
makes C. But there is something new here, you suggest.

> You want to say I or he have left out the transformation of a physical
phenomenon to a mental one. Fair enough.

Thanks for the recognition. But then you go on to sayy...

> But then you miss the point because we haven't left it out if one
accepts the paradigm shift.

Which is what? To deny that there we are conscious in the sense that we
have always seen ourselves. Yes, if we do that there is no B/M problem,
because there is no Mind. We've been kidding ourselves? Hmm...you
comment about D's work may help.

> Note that he says of his research at one point that "it turns out
Dennett was right".

In other words, both D's think that they have dispensed with mind by
describing everything we used to call "mental" in a material language.
Right? We use to think of feeling pain but now we say my C-fiber is
firing. We use to say "He is love" but now we say "his endorphins are
secreting. This sounds like silly word games to me. So, I misunderstand.

> His research is aimed at discovering what it is that brains do that
yield/produce/constitute/cause consciousness.

Hold on, didn't you say above that he doesn't show how brains actually
do that. One doesn't show how a C-fiber yield/produce/constitute/cause
pain by demonstrating the correlation. You've agreed time and again that
a complete description of C-fiber activity yields nothing about the pain
experience. So there is no possibility of discover. You know my
position. We can't discover how a C-fiber causes pain because the
relationship between the fiber and the experience is not causal in any
sense, but conceptual in view of the researcher.

> I have described consciousness as being an agglomeration of certain
features we recognize in ourselves,
> specifically in our subjective experience.

Surely there is no paradigm shift here, especially in the phrase
"subjective experience."

> By "we associate with" I meant (and have always meant) the things we
think of when speaking of consciousness!

Old fashion "mentalism". No? Perhaps you think me cranky, but if the
paradigm shift is away from talking about mind and consciousness as
something other than brains on fire, then you can't go back to
describing your consciousness.

> Think again of the wheel and its turning. If the wheel is an entity,
must we think its turning is, too??????

I can't see why this analogy has a hold on you. Yes, the turning is an
entity but turning is what entities do, from point A to point B. We can
"see" the turn in that we see the displacement of the wheel. But we
can't see the brain do consciousness because we don't see consciousness.
There is no analogy here beyond the fact that both C and turning aren't
entities, although turning is what an entity can do.

Another analogy,

> Here's the coin picture again: The brain's processes, its operations,
are the coin.

which we can see.

> The experiences occurring to the subject, the subjectness, are the
other (side).

It is intriguing to say that. What are we saying?

> Two sides, one coin, but each side is also itself and not the other.

Yes. And one side of a coin is a condition for there being another side
but not a causal condition. Logical? Well, in the sense that what we
mean by a coin is that it has two sides. We can also imply that,
basically, the two are the "same thing", since head and tails are
arbitrary.

In some ways this works for the brain/mind correlation. What's called
identity theory. I'm at home with that except for one nagging question.
If we describe the brain side causally, how do we justify describing the
mind side intentionally?

This returns us to the B/M problem as it always was. I see no paradigm
shift in any of this.

bruce

Not logical identity, something else, albeit something perfectly
ordinary and comprehensible if one can shake the fixation on identity as
a claim of logic.

2.2.

Re: Dennett's paradigm shift, Mirsky's wheel

Posted by: "jrstern" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:31 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "BruceD" <blroadies@...> wrote:

> > Think again of the wheel and its turning. If the wheel is an
> > entity must we think its turning is, too??????
>
> I can't see why this analogy has a hold on you. Yes, the turning
> is an entity but turning is what entities do, from point A to
> point B. We can "see" the turn in that we see the displacement of
> the wheel. But we can't see the brain do consciousness because we
> don't see consciousness. There is no analogy here beyond the fact
> that both C and turning aren't entities, although turning is what
> an entity can do.

I don't think the analogy is total, but it might be clarifying on a
couple of useful points.

(and you said above both that turning is an entity, and that it
isn't)

Let's step back a moment.

The wheel is a material object.

It may not be turning.

Something (kinetic energy) must be added to make it turn.

(details depending on whether the wheel is hanging on a post, or attached to a wagon, etc)

I don't see how that makes turning an "entity", but then, we could
quibble about what "entity" means anyway.

A turning wheel may generally have more interesting causal effects
than a non-turning wheel. I would not guess this is "consciousness",
but it may be "motion"!

I would say there is a wheel without turning, but I'd say there is
not a turning, without the wheel.

What is it like, to be a turning wheel?

ObW: We are talking about the facts of the matter here mixed in
with how we use particular terms, of which the most problematic
seems to be "entity". Is it possible to clarify "entity", without
serious regard for the underlying facts?

Josh

ps - apologies for as much of this as Stuart may have already recited

2.3.

Re: Dennett's paradigm shift.

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:36 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "BruceD" <blroadies@...> wrote:

> --- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "SWM" <SWMirsky@> wrote:
>
> > Dennett argues that we can account for all the features we typically
> associate with consciousness in ourselves
> > by thinking of them in a different way, changing the paradigm.
>
> The paradigm shift is what? A materialistic, causal account of C is as
> old as the hills. The new neurology still doesn't tell us HOW brain
> makes C. But there is something new here, you suggest.

We stop looking for mind as entity (or pseudo entity) and think of it instead as process. Once we give up the idea of consciousness as being a unified entity-like phenomenon, it is more easily explainable as a complex set of brain functionalities, accomplished by a process-based system running in brains.

> > You want to say I or he have left out the transformation of a physical
> phenomenon to a mental one. Fair enough.
>
> Thanks for the recognition. But then you go on to sayy...
>

> > But then you miss the point because we haven't left it out if one
> accepts the paradigm shift.
>
> Which is what?

See above.

>To deny that there we are conscious in the sense that we
> have always seen ourselves.

No, to do that is to miss the point of the paradigm shift. We are still just what we are. We still have the experience of being selves, of having a mental life, of being aware, etc. It's just that now we can see how this can be accounted for in terms of physical processes going on in brains.

> Yes, if we do that there is no B/M problem,
> because there is no Mind. We've been kidding ourselves? Hmm...you
> comment about D's work may help.

Again you miss the point. To accept the Dennett paradigm adjustment we don't have to say we have no minds, only that mind isn't what we are initially prompted to take it as based on introspection alone.

> > Note that he says of his research at one point that "it turns out
> Dennett was right".

This was a reference to what Dehaene says about his work in relation to Dennett's thesis.

> In other words, both D's think that they have dispensed with mind by
> describing everything we used to call "mental" in a material language.
> Right?

No, wrong. See above.

>We use to think of feeling pain but now we say my C-fiber is
> firing. We use to say "He is love" but now we say "his endorphins are
> secreting. This sounds like silly word games to me. So, I misunderstand.

Again, you miss the whole point of the paradigm shift which is NOT to deny mind but to explain it in terms of what we can discover scientifically about brains.

> > His research is aimed at discovering what it is that brains do that
> yield/produce/constitute/cause consciousness.
>
> Hold on, didn't you say above that he doesn't show how brains actually
> do that. One doesn't show how a C-fiber yield/produce/constitute/cause
> pain by demonstrating the correlation. You've agreed time and again that
> a complete description of C-fiber activity yields nothing about the pain
> experience. So there is no possibility of discover.

Nope, I've never agreed there is no possibility to discover! I've agreed that we don't look for or expect access to others' subjectivity but Dehaene does appear to believe that such access is at least in principle possible. So does Ramachandran.

> You know my
> position. We can't discover how a C-fiber causes pain because the
> relationship between the fiber and the experience is not causal in any
> sense, but conceptual in view of the researcher.

I think that's just playing with words.

> > I have described consciousness as being an agglomeration of certain
> features we recognize in ourselves,
> > specifically in our subjective experience.
>
> Surely there is no paradigm shift here, especially in the phrase
> "subjective experience."

The idea is not to deny "subjective experience" but to explain it in a way that makes it conceivable as an outcome of physical processes.

> > By "we associate with" I meant (and have always meant) the things we
> think of when speaking of consciousness!
>
> Old fashion "mentalism". No? Perhaps you think me cranky, but if the
> paradigm shift is away from talking about mind and consciousness as
> something other than brains on fire, then you can't go back to
> describing your consciousness.

Again, you don't grasp the paradigm shift. You keep hanging onto this idea that to accept the Dennettian model is to deny minds. But that isn't the point of it at all. As to your reference to "old fashioned mentalism" -- no!

> > Think again of the wheel and its turning. If the wheel is an entity,
> must we think its turning is, too??????
>
> I can't see why this analogy has a hold on you. Yes, the turning is an
> entity

I assume you mean't "isn't"?

> but turning is what entities do, from point A to point B. We can
> "see" the turn in that we see the displacement of the wheel. But we
> can't see the brain do consciousness because we don't see consciousness.

Sure we do. We see it in our subjective experience and we see it in the way others behave. It's just a different kind of turning!

> There is no analogy here beyond the fact that both C and turning aren't
> entities, although turning is what an entity can do.

See above.

> Another analogy,
>
> > Here's the coin picture again: The brain's processes, its operations,
> are the coin.
>
> which we can see.
>
> > The experiences occurring to the subject, the subjectness, are the
> other (side).
>
> It is intriguing to say that. What are we saying?
>
> > Two sides, one coin, but each side is also itself and not the other.
>
> Yes. And one side of a coin is a condition for there being another side
> but not a causal condition. Logical?

This has to do with how we express the idea. As Sean correctly says elsewhere in another context, you can't fit this into a logical form because the meanings must be attended to and the meanings alter in the syllogism. Is the head the condition of my quarter's tail? Think about how that sounds. Is that what we mean by a "condition"? It really works much more poorly than the notion of causality in the sense of wetness and the water molecules. But identity is fine, too, as long as you steer clear of the idea that now were invoking logical identity -- which I expect you won't because you need a hook to hang your objection on!

> Well, in the sense that what we
> mean by a coin is that it has two sides. We can also imply that,
> basically, the two are the "same thing", since head and tails are
> arbitrary.
>
> In some ways this works for the brain/mind correlation. What's called
> identity theory. I'm at home with that except for one nagging question.
> If we describe the brain side causally, how do we justify describing the
> mind side intentionally?

Different domains of reference.

> This returns us to the B/M problem as it always was. I see no paradigm
> shift in any of this.
>
> bruce

That's because you have missed the paradigm shift above and simply continue to do so at this point in your response.

SWM

3a.

Re: [C] On Languge Being "Open Ended"

Posted by: "Glen Sizemore" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx