[Wittrs] Re: Wittgenstein and Post Modernism

  • From: Rob de Villiers <robbitgrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 10:26:37 -0400

Josh,

Indeed "some others might say that "meaning is use" and "therapy" could be the
bywords of postmodernism."... the trouble is that that cuts very little ice,
and does not get us very far at all. The problem being that for the most part
(so far as I can see) in the mouths of post-modernists the slogan "meaning is
use" boils down to little else than the Humpty-Dumpty conception of meaning (at
best), and "therapy" ammounts to little other than moralising adolescent
self-indulgence ... both a million miles from what Wittgenstein has to offer in
these regards.

The only hope of making any progress on this issue would be move from slogans
and generalities to specific, detailed, and typical core post-modernist notions
(assuming any such can be identifed, explicated and agreed on!) and then
consider what bearing "Wittgensteinian" considerations might have on these. If,
as I said in a separate post, one deems the game worth the candle. It might be
... and even I would not simply assume that the results would be 100%
negative... 98% maybe ;) .
(The article "Wittgenstein on Deconstruction" by Martin Stone  in the
collection "The New Wittgenstein" A. Carey & R. Read eds, is quite interesting
and perhaps one of the slightly better efforts in that book.)

Rob.

--
Rob

WEB VIEW: http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4