[Wittrs] Re: Wittgenstein, Language, Thought and Mind

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:52:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Natalia:

FWIW, I see more agreement in your posts than I rarely find with
other Wittgensteinians. There's been two or three messages of yours where I
have said to myself, "there is an extremely bright student!"  I am very much of
the opinion that expressions of an inner nature are indeed fair plays in a
language game. All that they need is conjugated. But if the person is "knotted
up" in the grammar of the assertion, it requires untangling. So when I wrote my
introductory paragraph, I should have probably said "talked with a knotted
grammar of."

But I do not mean to imply that metaphor or family resemblance is to be shunned
in favor of better ways of talking. That would take us back to the days when
Moore and other analytics thought that surface-level language was the result of
confusions, and that humans should develop a clearer form of language. Even
Wittgenstein I thought those notions absurd. My current book project is very
much against the idea. Language is as language does. In this sense, no
"surface level expression" is every nonsense by virtue of the words used. It
only becomes nonsense if the grammar it deploys doesn't "add up."

Wittgenstein I is about rules for talking. Wittgenstein II is about achieving
insight.  Another way of saying it: meaning is more important than logic.

Regards.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University