[Wittrs] Re: When is "brain talk" really dualism?

  • From: "swmaerske" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 15:02:23 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Cayuse" <z.z7@...> wrote:

> Stuart wrote:
> > Cayuse wrote:
> >> I think that his approach leads to a conclusion that the idea of
> >> "subjective experience" has no application.
> >
> > So you think he would have said that there is no point in ever using a term
> > like "subjective experience"
> > to differentiate experiences we have that can be shared from those that
> > can't?
> >
> > Can you offer something in support of WHY you think as you do, either some
> > argument or some direct quotes from him where he said as much?
>
> I'm not aware of LW mentioning "subjective experience" anywhere but then I've
> only read the TLP and the PI. If he does then I'd appreciate the reference.
>
> Just as there is a conceptual host organism associated with the "visual
> room", so it is assumed that there is a "visual room" associated with any
> other person within this room. But nothing would be any different if that
> assumption were wrong. It has no application.

Including to anything I have been saying or even to language use generally
which is why it is really pointless either to talk about it or to conflate it
with other linguistic uses which manifestly HAVE application.

Anyway, it seems pretty clear to me at this point that you are misreading the
implications of Wittgenstein's ideas in this area.

SWM

Group Home Page: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html
Group Discussion Board: http://seanwilson.org/forum/
Google Archive: http://groups.google.com/group/Wittrs