[Wittrs] Re: The Problem With The Analytic List

  • From: brendan downs <downs_brendan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 20:21:54 +1000

There is somewhat some truth in the statement "analytic philosophers being flat
earth philosophers" in my view. I see them as historians or custiodians of the
history of ideas and this explains (a) as they understand (a). They don't have
a paradigm or research program as such and are well versed in conceptual
analysis just as Wittgensteins are. The argumentive features of analytic
sparing is a training field in logic to sharpen these skills in conceptual
analysis. the metaphysical positions of realism, idealism, nominalism and the
likes provides a wide and interesting range of interpretations of texts to
provide a battle ground of sorts. Why is Boxing one of the highest paid sports
in our culture? Entertainment, training, ego... Wittgensteinians/Post
Wittgetsteinians and Postmodernists are just as guilty as claiming allegiance
to a system of thought as do Analytic philosophers I think Analytic
philosophers are more likely to side with Wittgensteinians then Post
Wittgensteinia
 ns as they are not looking for a cure, this can be seen in there containment
of arguements to the history of ideas.
I do agree with the statement of there being a humours side to the analytic
debates say in a seminars etc.. because of there responses in argument e.g. A
guest speaker may spend a year preparing a paper, when giving the paper in a
seminar he has the advantage of knowing possible arguments against and has
prepared responses. It is now on the onus of the person questioning the paper
to respond to a prepared defense in which he is not prepared. The result is
usually a foolish attempt(spilled lunch) to save face instead of conceeding the
argument.

Regards
Brendan

WEB VIEW: http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4