[Wittrs] Statistical Analysis v. Connoisseur Judgment

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LAWCOURT-L@xxxxxxxxxx, wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 22:30:22 -0800 (PST)

statistics).

Tracy, there are several points that your mail raises. This reply is only
concerned with the Paul Brown example.

Let's imagine two coaches: one who keeps stats on his or her players (and looks
for trends), and another other who doesn't. Let's call one Paul Brown and the
other Phil Jackson. For simplicity's sake, let's assume both are coaching the
same sport (football). Note that the issue isn't whether one of the coaches
sees
patterns or trends -- for surely they both do. The issue, rather, is what kind
of cognition (or personality type) one relies upon to make sense of the
activity. One doesn't need stats to see the dynamic nature of Jim Brown. Many
experts could see the trends in production that your stats purport to show
simply because they have developed "a trained eye." That is, they have
developed
"connoisseur sense." In fact, by the time one becomes a connoisseur, they have
ascended to the point where they can see through (or govern) stats. (See
Wittgenstein on aesthetics, "seeing as" and imponderable evidence).

Here's what the issue boils down to: what are you using the stats for? If the
answer is for memory, this says more about psychology than it does
epistemology.
If the answer is "analysis," this suggests that the logic of judgment is beyond
our control for some reason. This is fine when humans lack judgmental capacity
for some reason -- when information is poor, e.g., or when we ourselves are
simply not connoisseurs of the activity. As I said before, statistical analysis
is best when our experience and perception of the thing in question is poor. If
I knew nothing of football, I would indeed want to know what a rushing average
was for X before I decided to place him or her in the game. Just take a look at
fantasy football: that's what the entire activity is (who's better at making
those judgments). But if I'm a connoisseur, the rushing average is something
that looks to ME for correctness. I say what is significant (or not) about it.
can tell you its flaws and why it either does or does not correctly report the
happenstance.

And so, my sense is that the Paul Brown stuff is more relevant to personality
type than to the secret of coaching. In fact, I don't know if you realize this,
but your argument seems to be an endorsement for analytic formalism. What is
more important to knowing: analysis or meaning? For a period of time in
philosophy, people thought analysis was king. Wittgenstein showed us, however,
that meaning is more important. Wittgensteinians are anti-formalistic across
the
board -- we dislike it as much in language as we do numbers. Wittgenstein
didn't
change course: he simply transcended analyticity. It's like the moth turning
into the butterfly. Culture is what ultimately is king. This doesn't mean
analysis or formalism is bad; it only means that it can never be unto itself.
It's always there as a servant.

Politics is no different from football. Those who think that quantitative
statistical analysis of behavior reveals "the truth" are no different than
those
who understand football as a fantasy league. (Or those who say, e.g., "the
numbers tell you that you must run the ball more than 12 times to win in the
Super Bowl").  The real masters are those who have fostered a
acute connoisseur sense and who, therefore, have a keen eye for the aesthetic.
These people will tell you when it's time to stop running.

(I'll send one more mail tomorrow that address your other points)

 Regards and thanks.

(P.S. -- sent to Wittrs)

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
[spoiler]Assistant Professor