[Wittrs] Re: Russell or Wittgenstein?

  • From: brendan downs <downs_brendan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 18:58:45 +1000

or

"I don't know what you mean by 'glory,'" Alice said.
Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. "Of course you don't  till I tell you. I
meant 'there's a nice knock-down argument for you!'"
"But 'glory' doesn't mean 'a nice knock-down argument,'" Alice objected.
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather a scornful tone, "it means
just what I choose it to mean  neither more nor less."
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean different
things."
"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master  that's all."
Alice was too much puzzled to say anything, so after a minute Humpty Dumpty
began again.
"They've a temper, some of them  particularly verbs, they're the proudest
adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs  however, I can manage the
whole lot! Impenetrability! That's what I say.

Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There (1871)

WEB VIEW: http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4
TODAY: http://alturl.com/whcf
3 DAYS: http://alturl.com/d9vz
1 WEEK: http://alturl.com/yeza