[Wittrs] Reforming Wittrs -- Volume of Mail, Etc.

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 09:44:45 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all:

After sending about 50 mails to philosophy professors who I believe were
Wittgenstein-appreciative, an interesting problem was brought to my attention.
Most professors do not want hundreds of emails piling in their mailboxes. The
only solution we currently offer is to read Wittrs every now and then in our
various web fora. Also, I'm inclined to believe that professors might also be a
little selective in what ideas they want to review for their consideration, and
that they would highly value the contributions of their peers. Given all of
this, I have thought of a very interesting solution.

What if we were to create a separate list for philosophy professors, called
the Lords of Wittrs? The current list that we have now could be thought of by
comparison as a sort of "House of Commons." Here is the way it would work.
People granted admission to the Lords list (the phil profs) would speak only to
themselves, but would have their mails piped to us. We would reply only to
ourselves (to our list). They could read the replies online if they wished
and reply if they so desired. (The replies would go only to us). Any Lord
wishing to join the Commons would be welcome. But not vice-versa.

This would allow phil profs to lurk and have their own discussion with fewer
mails. It would allow us to see that discussion and have our own volleys in
here about it. It seems to be a wonderful brain creature, doesn't it? Wittrs
assembling in a house of Lords and Commons?

Some Americans, I'm sure, won't like this -- but, after all, they have A.M.
talk radio.

Any thoughts?

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor