[Wittrs] Re: On the Mechanism of Understanding

  • From: gprimero <gerardoprim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 18:55:10 -0700 (PDT)

(Kirby) Likewise to say mental imagery is a kind of "behavior" is a
dialect, a village talk -- not how we think in the big city (you were
making that point to Gerardo and I agree with you).
(Gerardo) I agree too, it is village talk, but there´s nothing wrong
with that. There´re reasons for living in the city, or living in the
village, or moving from one to the other in different moments, and our
talk adapts according to our purpose and context. You could say also
that the chemist´s talk of "sodium chloride" is a village talk for
what we call "salt" in the big city. The issue is what´s the purpose
and context of each speaker´s talk.

Regards,
Gerardo.