[Wittrs] Re: On the Mechanism of Understanding

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 11:59:01 -0700

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 10:24 AM, jrstern <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<< SNIP >>

> I think Wittgenstein maintained the use of "logic",
> just a different variety, applied to different assumptions.

He probably brought his usage closer to what we'd find in the
vernacular, but then embedded it in his hypertext juggernaut (actually
more a torpedo, aimed at "philosophy as we know it in the west" i.e.
HMS Fat Cow (not really Sophia, well worth sinking)).

> Can you really make an argument, or even tell a story,
> use a language or talk about grammar,
> "without logic"?

Or without rhyme or reason?  Probably reason is more dispensable than
rhyme, as evidenced by these AI-bot servers for generating BS academic
papers in cog-sci or whatever.  They easily pass professorial Turing
Tests (AI, meet AI, aka Yes Men).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379593/

Kirby