[Wittrs] On Wittgenstein and Originality

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 11:48:06 -0700 (PDT)

Regarding the preface quoted from PI, Monk writes the following:

In the summer of 1938 he prepared for publication a typescript based on the
work he had written in Norway. This typescript constitutes the very earliest
version of philosophical Investigations. "For more than one reason," he wrote
in the preface:

"... what I publish here will have points of contact with what other people are
writing today. If my remarks do not bear a stamp which marks them as mine, I do
not which to lay any further claim to them as my property."

And yet, that they were his property was enormously important to him, and that
Carnap, Braithwaite, Waismann, Ambrose and others had published ideas
derivative of them was precisely the reason he was now prepared to go into
print. In a later preface he admitted as much:

"I was obligated to learn that my results (which I had communicated in
lectures, typescripts and discussions), variously misunderstood, more or less
angled or watered down, were in circulation. This stung my vanity and I had
difficulty in quieting it."

----------------------------
[back to me]

My take on this is that Wittgenstein is being sort of intellectually
aristocratic in the first passage. What he is saying is, "if can't tell this is
me, you must be an idiot. The others are half-wit frauds." instead of being
direct or petty, he's being Kingly. Anyway, just my take.

Regards.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University