[Wittrs] Re: Nominalism / Sean

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 00:27:32 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jrstern" <jrstern@...> wrote:

>> For folk usage, a
>> computer is a box you buy at the store that has "computer" on the
>> label, but that won't do for theoretical usage.

> Very nearly, it does.

> And here is where my nominalism does its first heavy lifting!

> The trick, in nominalist terms, is not to define the abstraction,
> but to find a particular.

Sorry, I don't see it.

Shall I say that my left shoe is a computer, but my right shoe  isn't?
Shall I say that a glass of wine is a computer, but a  cup of coffee
isn't?

My understanding is that nominalism has to do with the status of  the
property of being a computer.  Is that property something real  in this
world, or is it an ideal form in Plato's world?  Or are we  just using
the name?

I don't particularly care about those.  I am just interested in the
criteria we use when deciding whether to say something is a computer.
Maybe the criteria are vague or ambiguous, and I can live with that.
But there need to be some criteria.  If we just apply the term
haphazardly, then it is meaningless to talk about whether something  is
a computer, or whether something is computation.  And I guess  even
that's okay, but in that case lets stop using the term, since  it is
useless.

I think I am agreeing with Sean's criticism, that nominalism doesn't
actually do anything for you.

Regards,
Neil

Group Home Page: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html