[Wittrs] Re: Nagel

  • From: "Cayuse" <z.z7@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 11:18:14 +0100

blroadies wrote:
"Cayuse" wrote:
I'm not familiar with Gendlin's work on "felt sense", but I'm
certainly not rejecting the idea that /reports/ of "what it feels
like" can be studied objectively, since reports are a mode of overt
behavior. But what it is a report /of/ is like LW's beetle (PI 293).

I don't know how to read the above. On the one hand, you agree we can objectively study "what it feels like" but on the other hand you claim is like LW's beetle,i.e, it does no work. But the exploration of "what it feels like" leads to profound understanding of the person.

On the one hand I agree we can study /reports/ of "what it feels like" (since reports are a mode of overt behavior), but "if we construe the grammar of the expression of sensation on the model of 'object and designation' the object drops out of consideration as irrelevant" (PI 293).
Group Home Page: http://seanwilson.org/wittgenstein.discussion.html
Group Discussion Board: http://seanwilson.org/forum/
Google Archive: http://groups.google.com/group/Wittrs
FreeList for September: //www.freelists.org/archive/wittrs/09-2009