[Wittrs] Re: How mind works

  • From: Rajasekhar Goteti <rgoteti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 07:07:30 +0530 (IST)

William James's
version of pragmatic theory, while complex, is often summarized by his
statement
that "the 'true' is only the expedient in our way of thinking, just as the
'right' is only the expedient in our way of behaving."[27] By this, James
meant that truth is a quality the value of which is confirmed by its
effectiveness when applying concepts to actual practice (thus, "pragmatic").
John Dewey, less broadly
than James but more broadly than Peirce, held that inquiry, whether scientific,
technical, sociological, philosophical or cultural, is self-corrective over
time
if openly submitted for testing by a community of inquirers in order to
clarify, justify, refine and/or refute proposed truthsI could use term Truth in
the above context only.Correct me if I am wrong.thank yousekhar
sekhar