[Wittrs] Re: Does pain have a referent?

  • From: brendan downs <downs_brendan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 10:35:50 +1200

 Thank you for your email. I will attempt to read all the post on the site, to
get a clearer understanding of the site and of W and can navigate the site to
somewhat of the sites expectations.

Thanks brendan

> Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 18:59:32 +0000
> From: jrstern@xxxxxxxxx
> To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [Wittrs] Re: Does pain have a referent?
>
> --- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kirby urner <kirby.urner@...> wrote:
> >
> > If you don't believe nominalism provides a suitable model for public
> > life, then private life is easier to rescue from that dogma's sorry
> > clutches (would be my take, using nominalism in a coherent namespace
> > of my own invention that holds up Python as high class nominalist
> > logic that deserves our respect -- but then doesn't masquerade as a
> > "human grammar" (it's machine language, more Turing than
> > Shakespeare)).
>
> Sure, you, and the Babylonians and Arabs who invented algebra, and Descartes
> who invented modern usage of variables, and Church and lambda binding, and
> Epicurus and his skepticism of essentials, and John Backus and Fortran, and
> Grace Hopper and Cobol, and John McCarthy and symbolic processing, and a few
> dozen others we could toss in there.
>
> Josh
>

> WEB VIEW: http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4
> TODAY: http://alturl.com/whcf
> 3 DAYS: http://alturl.com/d9vz
> 1 WEEK: http://alturl.com/yeza
> GOOGLE: http://groups.google.com/group/Wittrs
> FREELIST: //www.freelists.org/archive/wittrs/09-2009

Looking to move up the career ladder? Explore the endless opportunities here!
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fmsn%2Eseek%2Eco%2Enz%2FID%5FSEEKNZMAIN%5FUSR%2FPages%2Falliance%5Fhomepage%2Eascx%3FComeFrom%3Dmsnnz%26tracking%3Dsk%3Atl%3Asknz%3Amsnnz%3A0%3Ahottag%3Aexplore&_t=757263783&_r=Seek_NZ_tagline&_m=EXT