[Wittrs] Re: Dennett's brain

  • From: "swmaerske" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 01:17:04 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@...> wrote:

> penalty: Mirsky. Interference. (talking about the opponent's posting behavior
> or capacity)
>
> potential penalty: Mirsky:  Dissing without showing.
>
> The infraction: "Here you just lapse into silliness."
>

> The format of the cure: "here your idea is silly because [state why]"
>
> Note that even if one does lapse into silliness, it isn't a topic of
> discussion here. Note also that the reply can only be something of a similar
> kind of thing.

Penalty accepted though, in my own defense, I have to say I was at a loss for
what else to say, though I felt it essential to say something, given my
previous agreement with what Bruce had just written. I didn't want to leave
open the possibility that anyone would think I was still in agreement when
clearly he had gone beyond any possibility of that and, more, I had previously
responded to just such comments and presumed Bruce would recall my earlier
statements on that subject so that there was no need to elaborate on them. But,
of course, others on the list would not have known about such earlier remarks
(nor is it certain Bruce would recall them).

In truth it seems to me that sometimes it is quite hard to see where to draw
the line. I did actually briefly think of just writing "oy" and leaving it at
that but, cognizant of the previous penalty handed out for that comment, I
thought something a little more substantive, like "this is just silly" would do
the trick. But apparently not. Perhaps this is sometimes more subjective than
we would like it to be. I apologize to Bruce for any inadvertant offense. I was
just at a loss for what else to say. Let's leave it, I suppose, at this: I
disagree.

SWM

WEB VIEW: http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4
TODAY: http://alturl.com/whcf